Re: [bitfolk] What do you expect to happen when you authoris…

Author: John Winters
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] What do you expect to happen when you authorise a Direct Debit mandate?
On 07/09/2020 23:38, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a frequent cause of confusion with Direct Debit.

[snip explanation]

I recall an incident the other way around which irritated me.

I had taken out a new credit card and asked if I could set up a DD to
pay the whole amount each month. I was told I had to wait for a bill.

When I got a bill it had a section on the back, "How to pay this bill"
with several options - send a cheque, pay in person at a bank or post
office, set up a DD.

As the last one was the one which I wanted I immediately filled in the
DD bit and sent it back. Job done I thought.

Then at the next bill I found they'd applied a penalty because I hadn't
paid the last one. When I complained they said it was my fault because
I should have paid the first bill by a different method - although there
was no indication of this in their instructions.

The person to whom I spoke tried to bullshit me by making up
non-existent rules about direct debits. I think the reality was that
they just weren't set up to cope with that particular scenario. They
would have had to send out a separate notice of the proposed debit and
their system didn't allow for that.

Getting back on topic - I think I would expect that once I've set up a
DD with Bitfolk then all my outstanding bills would use it. You have to
send out a notice anyway, so I would see the process as:

1. Start with 2 outstanding bills
2. Set up DD mandate
3. Bitfolk immediately sends out notice of intended debit for above bills.
4. Debits happen at earliest legal date

And give the customer the option to opt out of this at the point of
setting up the DD if they really want to.

John

--
Xronos Scheduler - https://xronos.uk/
All your school's schedule information in one place.