Re: [bitfolk] What do you expect to happen when you authoris…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] What do you expect to happen when you authorise a Direct Debit mandate?

gpg: Signature made Tue Sep 8 08:11:47 2020 UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback.

On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 05:50:38AM +0000, Paul Lewis wrote:
> Can you not just keep credit card details on file and charge
> automatically?

Yes. That is a separate feature request (credit card payment already
exists - continuous credit card authority for automated billing by
credit card doesn't, but could). This question is for/about people
who want to pay by Direct Debit. We also like Direct Debit more than
credit cards, generally, so it's not going away.

> From personal experience, my issue with b) is that I almost never
> log into the Bitfolk web portal, so I simply wouldn’t see those
> warnings.

You have to go to the Panel to authorise the Direct Debit mandate in
the first place, so I am talking about putting the warning on screen
right there after you do that, if it would apply to you.

> what makes you think they would see (or heed) a warning in the
> panel?

My expectations are indeed low but the situation needs improving
from what it is now.

> Could you also capture mobile contact details and have an
> automated sms/telegram sent to customers in parallel with the
> emails? I’d have thought most people would be more likely to
> receive and acknowledge those types of notifications?

People can already optionally add more contact details to the Panel¹,
which does include phone numbers, but most customers don't. Should I
force people to provide a phone number? It would be a useful means
to contact people just before anything drastic happens, because I
will text someone if there is a number available to me.

I have never really seen billing notifications done by SMS and I
certainly couldn't restrict it to Telegram. As optional things,
sure.

In this thread I'd like to focus on the specific question of what if
anything should happen when someone authorises a Direct Debit
mandate and they already have outstanding invoices. Happy to take
suggestions for other things into other threads.

¹ https://panel.bitfolk.com/account/contacts/#toc-address-book