Re: [bitfolk] Many customers will experience an emergency re…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Many customers will experience an emergency reboot in the next 2 weeks

gpg: Signature made Wed Oct 14 20:28:39 2015 UTC
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 07:30:48PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> you may wish to consider going back to that email and agreeing to
> the migration+upgrade as soon as possible, as otherwise you are
> most likely going to experience some down time for the security
> patch and ALSO some down time for your eventual forced
> migration+upgrade.

It was pointed out to me off-list that some customers may be hanging
back from having their VPSes migrated because of uncertainty over
how additional storage will be charged.

As mentioned in:

    http://lists.bitfolk.com/lurker/message/20150928.110054.8bc0084b.en.html

I pretty much came to the conclusion that some form of cheaper
additional archival storage is a required part of the service, but
that I can't let the lack of it slow down the hardware upgrades.

We are going to focus initially on getting everyone migrated and
keeping the prices for additional storage the same for now.

After the migrations are complete, cheaper archival storage will be
provided and at that point I will look at increasing the cost of
the additional SSD-backed storage to where it needs to be.

So just to be clear storage prices are not going to change for some
months after the migrations are all complete, and there is no need
to hold off to see what will happen there.