[bitfolk] Many customers will experience an emergency reboot…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: [bitfolk] Many customers will experience an emergency reboot in the next 2 weeks

gpg: Signature made Wed Oct 14 19:30:48 2015 UTC
Hi,

There's a serious security bug in the Xen hypervisor currently under
embargo until 29th October.

The following of BitFolk's hosts are affected:

    bellini.bitfolk.com
    dunkel.bitfolk.com
    president.bitfolk.com
    snaps.bitfolk.com
    sol.bitfolk.com

Some time before the 29th these hosts are going to require their
hypervisors to be upgraded and that upgrade will require the host to
be rebooted, so all VPSes on those hosts will also be shut down and
booted again.

I've not yet fixed exactly when this will be done. Most likely in
the early hours of the morning UK time across three nights close to
the end of the embargo.

To complicate matters further, as you're probably aware we're at the
moment in the middle of migrating customers to new hardware and
upgrading them in the process:

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Hardware_refresh,_2015-2016
    http://lists.bitfolk.com/lurker/message/20150927.060438.69cadb3d.en.html

One new host, snaps, has already been deployed and is now at full
capacity, so I'm in the process of deploying the next one now. That
means that the next one can be patched before customers are put on
it, and so the next batch of upgrades will side-step the need for
this other reboot.

So, if:

- You've already been contacted about migrating+upgrading your VPS
but you have so far chosen not to respond, and
- Your VPS is on one of the above listed hosts

then you may wish to consider going back to that email and agreeing
to the migration+upgrade as soon as possible, as otherwise you are
most likely going to experience some down time for the security
patch and ALSO some down time for your eventual forced
migration+upgrade.

I'll follow up as soon as I can with dates/times the patching and
reboots will take place.