Re: [bitfolk] predicted network usage / "Predicted to exceed…

Author: Alun Jones
To: users
New-Topics: [bitfolk] Configurable traffic throttling (was Re: predicted network usage / "Predicted to exceed transfer quota")
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] predicted network usage / "Predicted to exceed transfer quota"
Andy Smith said:

> I am interested in what other customers think. Though as most people
> never get anywhere near their data transfer quota, before responding
> please do try to put yourselves in the position of someone who has
> just received the automated email that says they've gone over quota
> and every GB transferred is now costing them £0.06+VAT. Does the
> current facility of the panel web page, Grafana site and emailed
> notifications cut it then?

My 2p worth. I've never gone over (or got very near) the quota, so it's
not something I've thought too hard about.

For my own use, I think your emailed warnings are fine. They arrive on
my phone and I look at them in fairly short order. A pushover alert
would also arrive on my phone and get looked at. But I do "get" that
others might like to receive alerts via other methods.

Since Bitfolk are the ones who'd charge me if I went over, I think it's
not unreasonable to expect to be able to use your figures rather than
trying to handball my own and ensure they match. Getting a ballpark
figure isn't hard and I'd do that if I cared enough, but it's only ever
going to be an estimate of what you'd charge.

On a wider note, I wonder whether configurable throttling would be
handy. If someone does something that hammers my VPS, it'd be a comfort
to know that, at the point you're (imminently) going to start charging
me per GByte, I can have my bandwidth throttled down to limit how
quickly that charge goes up. This is a WIBNI
(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/WIBNI), nothing more. For all that lazy
me knows, you may already have this available!

Cheers,
Alun.