Re: [bitfolk] Dynamic Updates to BitFolk Secondary

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Dynamic Updates to BitFolk Secondary

gpg: Signature made Mon Apr 12 11:45:01 2021 UTC
Hi Chris,

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 09:50:45PM +0100, Chris Marr wrote:
> This is a bit out of scope for BitFolk support, but I feel like I'm
> treading out of my depth a little here.

Ah when I directed you away from BitFolk support I did not realise
that you were specifically asking why BitFolk's secondary servers
weren't doing an AXFR. I thought you were asking in general how to
set this up.

If you do suspect a problem with BitFolk's secondary DNS servers
then feel free to take it back to a support ticket if you want.

But either way…

> I know that it's apparently working - I cna see the log entries for Bind9
> reporting the new updates, and I see a .jnl file for my dynamic zone. I've
> setup "notify yes;" for the dynamic zone, and made sure that I only send
> AXFR (by default, IXFR is enabled, I've tried turning it off but I get the
> same result), but I can't see if those updates are getting sent (should I
> see that update going out in the logs?).

…the first thing I'm going to ask is what domain name is this about?

Just for avoidance of doubt, it should not matter how the zone on
your primary server is updated (directly editing the file or DNS
Update); once it has changed, your primary server should send out a
NOTIFY to all the secondary servers and then they should do
AXFR/IXFR.