Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to handle noti…

Author: Nigel Rantor
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to handle notifications
On 18/03/2021 12:34, Andy Smith wrote:
> So is there any value in sending out personalised advanced notice of
> maintenance more than a month ahead? Would it be better just to send
> notice to the announce@ address giving the list of affected servers
> and the time it's going to happen and then a refresher a week ahead
> and again a day ahead or something?
>
> If the prospect of being powered off for half an hour or so a month
> from now is not acceptable to anyone, then we can most likely move
> their VM to another server ahead of time - one that we know won't be
> involved in the move. By semi-live migration if necessary. That's
> the only per-customer thing we can do and it's extra work so we will
> only do it if people ask for it. There isn't enough spare capacity
> to do it for everyone so doing migration as default for everyone is
> not an option. But happy to do it on a case by case basis.
>
> Your thoughts?

Hi Andy,

Nothing I run will worry about a half hour of downtime but I would want
to know exactly when it is so I can plan.

All I would want to know is how to easily find out whether my VM will be
on that host *when the move is going to happen* since rolling upgrades
may move it between physical kit at some point before then.