Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to handle noti…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to handle notifications

gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 18 13:17:40 2021 UTC
Hi Andy,

So this is an example of the difficulties here. 😀

I'm not picking on you specifically because a lot of people have
said and will say the same, but I need to work out in each case what
it actually means.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 12:46:54PM +0000, Andy Bennett wrote:
> I'd be happy to receive a notfication for each host server

So does this mean that you think we SHOULD send out a personalised
notification to each customer on all the affected servers, even
though they may not be affected at the actual time because they got
moved before it happened? Your later thing about being told if no
longer affected being the way to handle that?

The other option I offered was to send out a notice to announce@
just listing the servers that would be affected. That leaves people
to work out themselves if their service would be affected. Do you
mean that this option is less preferred than the personalised
notifications that may later not be relevant?

> then some information about which server […] I change to if
> appropriate.

Do you mention this in the context of the rolling upgrades?

In case I wasn't clear, this maintenance work involving moving
hardware isn't going to move any customer VMs¹ except for people who
can't take the downtime and ask to be moved ahead of time.

The rolling upgrades are separate work that just happens to be
taking place around the same time and has actually been ongoing
since December 2020. That's all done through individual support
tickets at times convenient to the customer. I think we can avoid
moving anyone from a host that's not scheduled to be moved onto one
that is.

The only reason I brought up the rolling upgrades thing is that it
will result in some people who are currently under the gun for being
involved in the rerack being given a reprieve.

You can just look up what host your VM is on any time² but if you're
saying that you think that between now and the rerack people should
just be told if their status with regard to the rerack changes, then
yes we can do that.

¹ OKAY, pedantically it will result in a geographic move because all
the physical servers are going on a nice trip to another floor of
Telehouse. But logically, the VM+host combination will remain the
same. Because we're just turning the hardware off and on again.

² https://bitfolk.com/customer_information.html#toc_3_Which_piece_of_actual_hardware_is_my_VPS_hosted_on_