Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how tohandle?notif…

Author: Andy Bennett
To: users
New-Topics: Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to?handle?notifications
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how tohandle?notifications
Hi,

>> Ah! I assumed that the new hosts would have different names to
>> the existing
>> ones.
>
> Indeed no, we're literally just going to be:
>
> - turning some servers off
> - removing them from the rack
> - opening them to install 10GE NICs
> - closing them again
> - installing them in another rack in another room
> - switching them on again
>
> …at which point we expect all the VMs on them to boot up as they were
> before with no visible change from the customer's point of view
> apart from having been shutdown for however long it took to do that.
>
> This would be relatively simple (if unwelcome) if it wasn't for the
> issue of the rolling upgrades that are ongoing and causing customer
> VMs to move about.

I think the rolling upgrades thing has really confused the issue for me.

I thought that the rolling upgrades would involve a host server name
change.

So people might be on one server now, that is scheduled to move to the new
rack at a certain time. And then between now and then they would have their
rolling upgrade and end up on a server with a different name that might be
moved at a different time.

>> I don't require a personalised message provided I can work out when my VM
>> will be moving.
>
> Okay. So at the moment I'm leaning towards sending out a
> non-personalised public email to announce@ a month before the work,
> with all the details, which will include a list of host machines.
> That will also include the offer of moving customer VMs ahead of the
> work if necessary.

That sounds good to me.

Best wishes,
@ndy