Re: [bitfolk] Migrate away from Wordpress?

Author: Hugo Mills
To: Dave Mills
CC: Bitfolk Users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Migrate away from Wordpress?
On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 04:11:53PM +0100, Dave Mills wrote:
> Long shot probably, but have any of you had any success migrating away from
> wordpress to a static site generator? I really want to ditch wordpress.
>
> The guides on the hugo website are useful, but Ideally I'd like something
> that can slurp in the whole site images and well as text and dump out a
> directory structure with images and the posts they belong to together. If
> it can be made to preserve relative URLs too that would be great.
>
> Failing there being some tool I've overlooked, does anyone have suggestions
> for a paid solution?

I migrated with a Drupal site to Hugo. I regretted the decision at
the time, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to manage the Hugo site
in the future. (Fortunately, I don't write much on my website any
more).

The data migration was a "simple" matter of dumping the database
tables, and writing a few shell scripts to extract the relevant data
into Hugo files.

However... I found the Hugo documentation absolutely appalling.
They do eventually give you information, but it's badly written and
poorly structured -- both at the level of individual pages and at the
level of the whole thing. There's no overview, nothing which gives a
reasonable description of how things fit together at a high level.
Actually working out how to achieve any particular goal was an
exercise in total frustration.

I don't know if any of the other static site generators out there
are any better, but I find it hard to recommend Hugo.

Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | w.w.w. -- England's batting scorecard
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |