Re: [bitfolk] Migrate away from Wordpress?

Author: Ian
To: Bitfolk Users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Migrate away from Wordpress?
Dave Mills asked:

> Long shot probably, but have any of you had any success migrating away
> from wordpress to a static site generator? I really want to ditch wordpress.

Depending on how much you want to change their content, look at the
WordPress static site generators.

Simply Static works well if you've sensibly avoided going anywhere near
the Gutenberg versions of WP, otherwise there's https://wp2static.com/
which also has links to commercial alternatives.

The basic workflow is 'get site the way you want / convert to static in
a few seconds / switch Apache to serve that instead / leave it that way
or switch back to WP to do some editing / repeat'.

If you're not doing a pile of edits, this is the easiest way to go.

Andy said:

> I run PHP things under mod_proxy_fcgi which makes all PHP for a
> given vhost run as a specific user. That uses only features built in
> to Apache and PHP so is pretty simple and reliable:

It also makes each instance of Apache much smaller. The exact method of
avoiding it has changed with Apache changes, but it's been many many
years since I've used mod_php.

Ian