Re: [bitfolk] Do not try to upgrade a BitFolk VM to Ubuntu 2…

Author: Jan Henkins
To: users, Andy Smith
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Do not try to upgrade a BitFolk VM to Ubuntu 20.04 yet
Hello,

On 8 May 2020 00:53:20 BST, Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:

[truncated]

>My question to you is, if I made the BitFolk Xen Shell installer for
>Ubuntu 20.04 install such an apt hook so that it automatically
>decompressed LZ4 kernels, would that be an acceptable state to
>consider Ubuntu 20.04 officially supported at BitFolk?
>
>What would you be thinking the first time you did a kernel upgrade
>and saw apt call an extra script to decompress the kernel?
>
>At the moment Ubuntu 20.04 is not listed on the BitFolk web site as
>available, nor is there an installer for it in the Xen Shell,
>because of the need to decompress its kernel. It is only possible to
>install it by upgrade from an earlier release or by use of the
>Rescue VM - and then you need to take care of the kernel yourself.
>
>Put another way, is automating the decompression of LZ4 kernels at
>kernel upgrade time a good enough solution to allow Ubuntu 20.04 to
>be listed as available on the web site and in the Xen Shell?
>
>If the consensus is "no" then I think Ubuntu 20.04 will have to
>remain as not officially supported here until either there's a
>pvgrub that supports LZ4 kernels or BitFolk introduces PVH mode.
>
>Cheers,
>Andy

If I have noticed that happen, I would have probably simply accepted it as a "platform quirk" - all of the major virt platforms have some, so it would come as no surprise to me. Now that we have full disclosure from you, I would feel 100% comfortable with it. Regarding auto decompression vs. PVH mode, I will have to trust you to make the most future-proof decision. So, in the spirit of getting support for 20.04 baked into Bitfolk, I will support you with a "yes" for auto decompression. From what you said, it sounds like the least restrictive path to take.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins