Re: [bitfolk] NixOS on Bitfolk

Top Page
Author: Alyssa Ross
To: Josh Holland
CC: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] NixOS on Bitfolk

gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 28 20:03:59 2020 UTC
gpg: using RSA key 1FDC20731AA51CCFC0451DE1F9DBED4859B271C0
Josh Holland <josh@???> writes:

> whoops, pressed send before I was ready...
>
> Josh Holland <josh@???> writes:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> My VPS currently has Ubuntu 18.04 installed on it, and since 20.04 has
>> just been released, I'm considering when and whether to upgrade it.
>> However, I've also been looking into NixOS recently, and I thought I
>> might try running it on my server.
>
> ... Has anybody tried this? I see you can install it directly (though
> from perusal of the wiki, BitFolk might have to set it up first), or by
> replacing another distro with NIXOS_LUSTRATE. I'm not fully sold on it
> yet, but I thought I might see if anybody here had any experience.

Hi! I'm a Nixpkgs committer, and I run NixOS on Bitfolk. I installed
from the recovery console, IIRC (although it was a long time ago -- back
then I had to opt in to the new Bitfolk recovery console. I think that
isn't necessary any more).

Once I'd figured out to do that, and how to get my image into the
console, I don't recall it being much different to any other NixOS
install.

I'm happy to help if you get stuck -- although I'm not exactly the most
prompt email replier. Make sure I'm at least CCed so it shows up in my
inbox. :) The IRC community is also very helpful, and
will probably give you faster answers (albeit not Bitfolk-specific
ones).

--
Alyssa Ross
GitHub: @alyssais