Re: [bitfolk] Docker, email, configuration and some rambling

Author: Progga
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Docker, email, configuration and some rambling
On Sun, Feb 02, 2020 at 01:05:41PM +0000, Nigel Rantor wrote:

> So, yes, I will probabyl end up doing what I normally do but considering
> dockerising my services and not even sure if it would work on a VPS or
> whether it would just be more trouble than its worth.

Hi Nigel,
I run a few "dev" versions of a live Drupal website in my VPS (Debian 10) with
3.4GB memory. We use docker-compose at work to make sure the live and dev sites
are all using the exact same environment (PHP 7.3, MySQL 5.7, etc.). Each "dev"
site uses 4 Docker containers. Right now I have two instances of the site running
for two different Git branches. This means 8 containers are running at the
moment. Sometimes I run 3 sites resulting in 12 containers. They all run fine.
In fact I find these sites more preformant than Azure Webapps [0] (another
Docker-based hosting service) where the live site is hosted at nearly 10 times
the monthly cost! So you should be fine. In fact, if Bitfolk had an SLA
similar to AWS and Azure, I would have probably told the whole world to ditch
those and just use Bitfolk because that will save them tons of money :)

I am aware that people have had trouble running very very heavy workload inside
Docker containers. But my 8 month experience of running Drupal (which is
notorious for being a heavy web app) under Docker in Bitfolk and Azure has been
nothing but good.

Sincerely,
Adnan

[0] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/