[bitfolk] Docker, email, configuration and some rambling

Author: Nigel Rantor
To: users
Subject: [bitfolk] Docker, email, configuration and some rambling

Hello all,

This is more of a ramble than anything else so feel free to simply
ignore it.

I have been thinking about what to do with my machine recently. I run
some small websites, db and email server.

Currently this is all setup via puppet. Every now and again I get the
VPS reinstalled to a more recent LTS distribution and go about updating
puppet to to use this and switch to a new VPS with the updated setup.

I have recently been thinking about whether or not it might be easier to
have a much more stripped down machine and use docker to run my services
on top of.

Not sure how I would do this with rails websites, I currently use
Phusion passenger to service them all.

Wondering if anyone has experience running docker on a VPS within
BitFolk. I'm not sure if there are any virtulisation limitations that
would stop this either.

I am going to be upgrading my machine to a more recent LTS version
soonish since my current distribution is going EOL this year.

So, yes, I will probabyl end up doing what I normally do but considering
dockerising my services and not even sure if it would work on a VPS or
whether it would just be more trouble than its worth.