Re: [bitfolk] Discourse vs. mailing list

Author: ed-bitfolk@s5h.net
To: Andy Smith
CC: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Discourse vs. mailing list
On 2019-11-05 13:44+0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Once again I wonder about switching these mailing lists to
> Discourse¹.
>
> Do you have Feelings?
>
>     https://doodle.com/poll/28bp29r3uuwp6h68

> (not a vote, just a survey)

Yes, perhaps this is only emotive, but I strongly prefer email lists. I
like to know that the mail has been pushed to my mailbox, and that /you/
host the mail archive.

Recently YahooGroups! have made changes (more nails in the coffin),
people can now only be invited. What if Discourse decide to do something
similar? Or what if purge archives? What is Discourse's current business
model, what if that changes by a new investor?

Another thought I have, which may dissuade me from participation is that
I no longer like using bigger company communication bottlenecks. What I
mean is, the closer it is to Fecebook, the less I want to go near it. I
don't want more agency profiling! Yes, I realise YahooGroups was part of
this too, but they've been dead to me for several years, pre-Snowden.

I'm probably a small edge case, but please continue to host the list
with publicly searchable archives.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/