[bitfolk] Confused XEN says 64 bit, VPS says 32

Author: Keith Williams
To: BitFolk Users
Subject: [bitfolk] Confused XEN says 64 bit, VPS says 32
I was too busy to upgrade one of my VPS to Buster the other week. Also the
email from Andy reminded me that I have not converted that one to 64 bit.
So I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone.
First, into Xen shell and type in arch x86_64
That went nice and easy and Xen now tells me that I am operating in 64 bit
mode and that the bootloader can only boot x86_64 guests
Great. Prepare for upgrade to Buster, the press the go button. Chugging
through the upgrade process I see that it is all 32 bit packages being
installed. I thought Xen by some internal magic changed what I could
download. Well Kernel wise really
When all finished and a reboot done (a totally problem free upgrade by the
way) I ran lscpu
~# lscpu
Architecture:        i686
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian

OK I should have done some step earlier on in the process which I didn't -
maybe install a 64 bit kernel and rebooted, or something.
Showing my ignorance here I know, but I seem to remember when doing it on
my other VPS it was as simple as do the arch command on xen then just
update/upgrade
What have I missed, please?