[bitfolk] Digital Economy Act

Author: Daniel Case
Subject: [bitfolk] Digital Economy Act
>> Jump Networks were to go off the air, none of your nameservers wou=
ld<br>
&gt;&gt; be reachable. Of course, if everything you host is at BitFolk then=
&gt;&gt; that may not matter much, but still.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Yeah, it has been that, having two VPSes,<br>
Do you mean two VPSes at BitFolk? If so, can you explain a bit more?<br>
Just trying to understand your needs here.<br>
&gt; and the 50 domain limit which has put me off doing this.<br>
There&#39;s currently one customer who has just over 50 domains on the<br>
BitFolk secondary service, and I haven&#39;t yet contacted them to see<br>
what they want to do about it because:<br>
a) I haven&#39;t thought too much about what to charge for &quot;above 50&q=
uot;,<br>
and;<br>
b) Before charging I would like to have a better web interface in<br>
=A0 place so that customers can add, remove and disable domains<br>
=A0 without having to submit support tickets.<br>
So I have let them languish at just above 50 and will continue to do<br>
so until I have more of an idea.<br>
I haven&#39;t got rid of the 50 limit because I do still think there<br>
needs to be some sort of limit. The next person down the list by<br>
domain count is somewhere around 20 so it hasn&#39;t been a pressing<br>
issue.<br>
I should probably have realised though that there might be more of<br>
you who were just put off by there seeming to be nowhere to go.<br>
How many domains do you have? What would you consider a fair price<br>
for DNS hosting for them? Are there missing features that you feel<br>
would need to be implemented before BitFolk could actually charge<br>
for the &gt;50 case?<br>
I want to focus on doing DNS hosting for existing customers only,<br>
which means they have the ability to run their own master DNS<br>
server(s)=B9. I don&#39;t want to get into hosting DNS with a web<br>
interface to manipulate zone content. I want to provide the DNS<br>
servers and monitoring of them, and basically any other assistance<br>
you can think of that enables you to run your own stuff.<br>
I appreciate that for a lot of people with a large number of domains<br>
the question may still be, &quot;why would I pay BitFolk when there are<br>
companies out there that will provide secondary DNS for free?&quot;=B2<br>
That&#39;s fine - what I&#39;m trying to do is provide some nameservers for=
people who don&#39;t have them, and monitoring to go with it that is as<br>
comprehensive as possible. If that&#39;s not of interest then no<br>
worries.<br>
Also, I know that when it comes to paying, there are companies that<br>
will sell you DNS hosting, and their infrastructure will be a lot<br>
bigger and more resilient than BitFolk&#39;s. That&#39;s also OK - maybe on=
e<br>
day I can compete with them on that score, but right now I am still<br>
trying to cater to the hobbyist and small business and hope to come<br>
in at a lower price than these services.<br>
But if you or anyone else does have interest in putting more than 50<br>
domains on BitFolk&#39;s servers, what sort of pricing and other things<br>
would you like to see?<br>
As far as pricing goes, OK let&#39;s start. What about first 50 domains<br>
per VPS for free (as it is now), then every block of 50 domains<br>
after that is =A30.99+VAT per month or =A39.99+VAT per year?<br>
And I make the add/remove/disable/enable thing work first.<br>
Cheers,<br>
Andy<br>
=B9 Having a VPS gives the technical basis, but I don&#39;t mind taking an<=
br>
=A0AXFR from anywhere.<br>
=B2 I don&#39;t actually know any, but I assume there are plenty. I don&#39=
;t<br>
=A0mind if people want to suggest some.<br>
--<br>
- No-nonsense VPS hosting<br>
users mailing list<br>