Re: [bitfolk] The perils of opening tcp/22 to the Internet

Author: James Gregory
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] The perils of opening tcp/22 to the Internet
f whoever was under
investigation. Or I could continue updating the canary, and safely
lie to customers.

For this reason at this time I'm of the opinion that it's safer not
to make promises (in the form of a canary like rsync.net's) that
either cannot be kept or risk the entire business in keeping them.

The law is heavily based on intent and tricks like the rsync.net
canary can't be relied upon to get around that. Should rsync.net's
canary survive an actual court order that has a non-disclosure
clause then that would be interesting (although still may not set a
precedent in English law).

I would also be very interested in any other service provider
operating under English law who is making use of such a canary, so
we can compare notes.

From paul@??? Fri Aug 05 12:23:28 2011