Re: [bitfolk] Keep an eye on your CentOS Stream 8 grub.cfg f…

Author: Jamie Stallwood
To: Andy Smith, users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Keep an eye on your CentOS Stream 8 grub.cfg for "blscfg" being introduced
Hi Andy, all,

TBH the whole package system - especially with everything having a
script and trigger - is a mystery. I went directly from version 106 to
version 123 on grub2-*.

EDIT: I've just restored the previous /etc/default/grub from tape, turns
out that the ENABLE_BLSCFG has been there since at least November 2021
when I last updated!

Using Post-Transaction-Actions [1], I have scripted me a reset every
time yum is run. Note that it does NOT rerun grub2-mkconfig if the flag
was seen to have been 'True'.

yum -y install python3-dnf-plugin-post-transaction-actions.noarch
cat > /usr/local/sbin/blscheck.sh <<_"FILE"
#!/bin/bash
if [ -f /etc/default/grub ] ; then grep GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG
/etc/default/grub && sed -i.bak -e
's/GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true/GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=false/' /etc/default/grub;
fi
_FILE
chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/blscheck.sh
cat > /etc/dnf/plugins/post-transaction-actions.d/bls.action <<_"FILE"
# Reset BLS for Bitfolk machines whenever a grub or kernel trigger
occurs
#
grub2-*:in:/usr/local/sbin/blscheck.sh
kernel-*:in:/usr/local/sbin/blscheck.sh
_FILE

#tested using command:
#dnf install kernel-rpm-macros.noarch
#message:
#post-transaction-actions: GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=false

Thanks
Jamie

[1] https://blog.bensoer.com/how-to-create-post-install-hooks-with-yum/