[bitfolk] The upcoming Ubuntu 22.04 release

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: [bitfolk] The upcoming Ubuntu 22.04 release

gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 5 12:55:24 2022 UTC
gpg: using DSA key 0E4236CB52951E14536066222099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

TL;DR version:

The next Ubuntu LTS release, 22.04, is scheduled for 21 April.
They've made some changes which mean that we likely won't have it
ready in time for new installs and self-installs from the Xen Shell.
It will probably be fine for an upgrade using do-release-upgrade,
but you should wait a while for us to test it.

Full version:

In their wisdom Ubuntu have decided that Debian Installer and
preseeding are no longer for them, and have gone with something else
of their own devising¹ for 22.04. As a result our Xen Shell will
need quite a bit of work to support that (if it is possible), and I
don't expect that to get done in time for the release of 22.04.

I do expect that a do-release-up[grade from 20.04 will work, but I
haven't tried it yet. Unless you are prepared for potential
disaster I suggest you do not be a pioneer for that.

We will soon have a go with that and let you know about any issues,
so I advise waiting.

¹ https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/install/netboot-amd64

This appears to involve extracting a vmlinuz+initrd from the iso
file, booting those and pointing them to the iso which they
download, mount and use as a live media for install.

By contrast debian-installer is just in the netinstall initrd that
you download, you point it at a Debian mirror and off it goes.