Re: [bitfolk] Disable predictable network interface names by…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Disable predictable network interface names by default?

gpg: Signature made Sun Apr 3 20:36:31 2022 UTC
gpg: using DSA key 0E4236CB52951E14536066222099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

On Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 07:44:06PM +0100, Anahata via users wrote:
> Perhaps of academic interest, would it be possible to switch to the
> standard Debian nomenclature if I wanted to?

If you just removed the net.ifnames=0 from the kernel command
line (it would be set in /etc/default/grub) then at next boot your
network interface would be named something new, I think based on the
MAC address.

That would break your networking unless you also edited
/etc/network/interfaces to match. Plus other things if you have any
other software or configuration that needs to know an interface
name. Nothing BitFolk-related would stop working, it's just that
your networking and maybe some of your software would be configured
to expect "eth0" and would also need changing.

The only thing that BitFolk needs to know the interface name for is
a few tweaks done to to /etc/network/interfaces (or
/etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml on Ubuntu) at the end of install. That
could fairly easily be modified to work out the interface name but
it's just easier to not, and keep it eth0. Either way that is a
one-off thing at the end of the install that just writes a static
file.

People doing a dist-upgrade or do-release-upgrade from the previous
release are going to get the new interface names unless they add
net.ifnames=0 themselves. So if you're doing an upgrade you need to
think about this as well, but that's not BitFolk's business.

At the moment I can't think of any advantage of having these changed
interface names OTHER THAN it being "the new normal".