Re: [bitfolk] Disable predictable network interface names by…

Author: Ian Kelling
To: Andy Smith
CC: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Disable predictable network interface names by default?

Andy Smith <andy@???> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 05:55:12PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
>> Would you have any concerns if you made a new order or did a new
>> install and it came with net.ifnames=0?
>
> I also notice that Linode are using net.ifnames=0 by default.

+1 for net.ifnames=0 by default. The "predictable names" are more
complicated, and less predictable for Bitfolk customers.

I did a systemd upgrade on one machine and the "predictable name"
changed. I was done with it after that. I had though, oh, probably best
to bite the bullet and adapt to the default rather than paying the price
of configuration? Well, you might have to eat several bullets. And, you
can't reliably predict what the predictable name is going to be without
actually booting systemd. Systemd devs should have created a portable
binary or shell script which would tell you the "predictable names" for
your hardware for all the versions of systemd which have been
released. I can think of other tooling that would help, none of which
has been made.

- Ian