[bitfolk] Debian users should replace ftp.uk.debian.org with…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: [bitfolk] Debian users should replace ftp.uk.debian.org with deb.debian.org

gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 21 00:53:04 2022 UTC
gpg: using DSA key 0E4236CB52951E14536066222099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

We decided to make our Debian installers use the mirror host of
deb.debian.org instead of ftp.uk.debian.org.

This was done initially just to make the /etc/apt/sources.list look
the same as the many examples in Debian's documentation.

However I did then notice that at some point in the last 15 years
(!) ftp.uk.debian.org has moved from London to Manchester and is now
about 12ms away from BitFolk. The nearest Fastly instance for
deb.debian.org is about 0.9ms away, so it's also faster to use that
one.

By default we do set it up to use our apt-cacher, so every URL in
there is prepended with:

    http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/

These days it maybe has questionable benefit, when package updates
will only be a small fraction of your data transfer quota, but we'll
carry on using it for now.

Anyway, whether or not you use the apt-cacher, you can make this
switch by just doing a substitution of "ftp.uk.debian.org" with
"deb.debian.org".

There are still some pages on the wiki that will refer to
ftp.uk.debian.org; if you spot any please feel free to update them
to say deb.debian.org.