Re: [bitfolk] Remaining 32-bit PV guests will be switched to…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Remaining 32-bit PV guests will be switched to pvshim on Tuesday 18 January

gpg: Signature made Tue Jan 18 13:12:59 2022 UTC
gpg: using DSA key 0E4236CB52951E14536066222099B64CBF15490B
Hi David,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:59:09PM +0000, David Mills wrote:
> > On 18 Jan 2022, at 12:51, Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> > Out of interest was that just the kernel or did you carry on and
> > convert some/all of user land as well?
>
> I did a full in-place upgrade. Very seat of pants at times.

Nice work. I've done it a few times and I've found it's very
variable depending on the packages involved.

> > $ cat /sys/hypervisor/guest_type
>
> The VM is noether running on macallan.
>
> guest type reports PV.

Okay, well it's fine as it is, but PVH mode is better.

> I thought I was running grub2, but my /boot only contains
>
> default device.map menu.lst menu.lst~ menu.lst_backup_by_grub2_prerm

So you're probably still running grub-legacy. It's not been part of
Debian for a while but it carries on working after you upgrade the
rest of the OS. You can upgrade to grub2 with:

# apt install grub-pc
# update-grub

This should result in a sensible-looking /boot/grub/grub.cfg being
created.

At this point you may want to reboot (while still in PV mode) and
looking at the Xen Shell console. Our bootloader will offer you the
choice of booting with your /boot/grub/grub.cfg or your
/boot/grub/menu.lst, with the former being the default. Assuming
that works it is safe to delete /boot/grub/menu.lst.

And then move on to switching to PVH mode if you like.

No rush though as amd64/PV is fine really.