Re: [bitfolk] Buying NVMe Disks

Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Buying NVMe Disks
Hello,

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 01:18:21PM +0100, Samuel Bächler wrote:
> I need to buy NVMe disks for a HP DL365 server. [1] They will be used as
> storage for lxd (linuxcontainer)?
>
> Can anyone recommend any?

I haven't used HP servers in a long time but I'm assuming the server
part is not what you're interested in. It seems from the data sheet
that you will want the "Tri-Mode Controller" and U.3 NVMe.

BitFolk has been exclusively on Samsung's enterprise SSDs and NVMe
since 2015 and been really happy with them.

We have:

SM863 (SATA)
SM883 (SATA)
PM983 (M.2 NVMe)

None of these are U.3 but I wouldn't expect any issues with the
current U.3 equivalent e.g PM1735.

Performance of any decent brand of NVMe is likely to be way in
excess of what you need, so the most important thing may be the
write endurance, i.e. the amount of writes the manufacturer
certifies it for.

You might want to measure how much you write in a day now, so you
can work out what sort of endurance you need. For example, a 3.84TB
PM983 is rated for 5466TB written.

You should be looking for models with Power Loss Protection so it's
safe in event of power cut.

> Or do you know any trustworthy site with reviews?

It's hard to find reviews of these things. Most sites just review
consumer devices. ServeTheHome occasionally has something of
interest:

    https://www.servethehome.com/category/storage/