Re: [bitfolk] Mail server on Bitfolk

Author: Nigel Rantor
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Mail server on Bitfolk

I've been running exim/dovecot for years for my personal and business
but my business email is normally not critical for me.

I think a lot depends on your familiarity with email and your appetite
for risk.

Last year I refreshed my setup and ensured I was running DKIM because my
mail was not getting through to a lot of places. Running PSF/DKIM is not
optional - if you don't do it you're basically not going to have mail
accepted by a lot of places.

I run multiple domains using a puppet setup for config, I don't use the
debian config method. If you're only doing a single domain then it can
be quite simple.

I only run one VPS, so this is a SPOF for me, if you need to run
business email through it that is critical I would either go for a
commercial service or run a more complex SMTP setup with multiple MXs.

I can't comment on what commercial services are suitable for your size.
I only deal with either massive amounts at my jobs or tiny amounts at home.