Re: [bitfolk] 21 critical Exim security issues need addressi…

Author: Adam Spiers
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] 21 critical Exim security issues need addressing
On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 11:06:37AM +0100, Adam Spiers wrote:
>And indeed I see the
>same presumably vulnerable version listed for buster here:
>
>    https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=exim4&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all&section=all

>That list suggests that only sid (unstable), bullseye (testing), and
>buster-backports have a fix.
>
>My sources.list is:
>
>    deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/     stable main contrib
>    deb-src http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib

>    deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/security.debian.org/          stable/updates main
>    deb-src http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/security.debian.org/      stable/updates main

>    deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/     stable-updates main
>    deb-src http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable-updates main

>Presumably that means I need to add buster-backports to get it.
>I'll try that now.

Well that was slightly more painful than it probably should have been,
but I managed it by adding the following source:

     deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main

which is documented at https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

According to https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Apt-cacher#Available_mirrors
I should have been able to prepend apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/
but

     deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main

did not work.

Furthermore, as the backports instructions explain, all backports are
deactivated by default (i.e. the packages are pinned to 100), so a
simple "apt install exim4" won't work; instead you need

     apt install exim4/buster-backports

I'm sure there's some package pinning voodoo which mitigates the need
for this suffix, but I always found Debian's handling of package
priorities confusing and never got the hang of it.