Re: [bitfolk] 21 critical Exim security issues need addressi…

Author: Adam Spiers
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] 21 critical Exim security issues need addressing
Thanks a lot for this heads-up!

I'm running it on buster/stable, but after apt update,
apt search shows:

     Sorting... Done
     Full Text Search... Done
     exim4/stable,stable,now 4.92-8+deb10u6 all [installed]
       metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation

     exim4-base/stable,now 4.92-8+deb10u6 i386 [installed]
       support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages

     exim4-config/stable,stable 4.92-8+deb10u6 all [upgradable from: 4.92-8+deb10u4]
       configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)

     exim4-daemon-heavy/stable 4.92-8+deb10u6 i386
       Exim MTA (v4) daemon with extended features, including exiscan-acl

     exim4-daemon-light/stable 4.92-8+deb10u6 i386 [upgradable from: 4.92-8+deb10u4]
       lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon

     exim4-dev/stable 4.92-8+deb10u6 i386
       header files for the Exim MTA (v4) packages

     exim4-doc-html/stable,stable 4.92-1 all
       documentation for the Exim MTA (v4) in html format

     exim4-doc-info/stable,stable 4.92-1 all
       documentation for the Exim MTA (v4) in info format

which is less than the fixed 4.94.2 version. And indeed I see the
same presumably vulnerable version listed for buster here:

     https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=exim4&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all&section=all

That list suggests that only sid (unstable), bullseye (testing), and
buster-backports have a fix.

My sources.list is:

     deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/     stable main contrib
     deb-src http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib

     deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/security.debian.org/          stable/updates main
     deb-src http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/security.debian.org/      stable/updates main

     deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/     stable-updates main
     deb-src http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable-updates main

Presumably that means I need to add buster-backports to get it.
I'll try that now.

Unfortunately it's not the first time Exim has badly let its users
down from a security perspective. I wish there was an easy way to
switch to postfix.

Thanks,
Adam