Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to handlenotif…

Author: Andy Bennett
To: users
New-Topics: Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to handle?notifications
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Upcoming maintenance work / how to handlenotifications
Hi,

> So this is an example of the difficulties here. 😀
>
> I'm not picking on you specifically because a lot of people have
> said and will say the same, but I need to work out in each case what
> it actually means.

No worries!

>> I'd be happy to receive a notfication for each host server
>
> So does this mean that you think we SHOULD send out a personalised
> notification to each customer on all the affected servers, even
> though they may not be affected at the actual time because they got
> moved before it happened? Your later thing about being told if no
> longer affected being the way to handle that?

I meant that I'm happy for a list of host servers and their maintenence
times to be sent around to announce@ provided I can use it to know when I
will have an outage.

> The other option I offered was to send out a notice to announce@
> just listing the servers that would be affected. That leaves people
> to work out themselves if their service would be affected. Do you
> mean that this option is less preferred than the personalised
> notifications that may later not be relevant?

I am happy without a personalised message but I understood (possibly
incorrectly) that it would be difficult to know precisely which customer
VMs would be affected ahead of time using just a list of host server
maintenance windows.

So I suggested that, in addition to the list of host server maintenance
windows that everyone recieves, that people are individually notified which
server they are currently on and again if that changes before the window.

Perhaps that's too complex tho'.
Or perhaps the individual notifications are not necessary if the host
server won't change name and the new host named X corresponds to the same
set of customers as the old host named X?

>> then some information about which server […] I change to if
>> appropriate.
>
> Do you mention this in the context of the rolling upgrades?
>
> In case I wasn't clear, this maintenance work involving moving
> hardware isn't going to move any customer VMs¹ except for people who
> can't take the downtime and ask to be moved ahead of time.

Ah! I assumed that the new hosts would have different names to the existing
ones.

> You can just look up what host your VM is on any time² but if you're
> saying that you think that between now and the rerack people should
> just be told if their status with regard to the rerack changes, then
> yes we can do that.

I think I have misunderstood the nuance of your original message.

I don't require a personalised message provided I can work out when my VM
will be moving.

To do that, it's useful to have all the information in the same eMail, or
in a few messages close to each other in my INBOX, so that I can refer to
them easily.

However, if the name of my host server is not going to change then I can
look that up with `dig <VM>.console.bitfolk.com`.

Sorry for the confusion.

Best wishes,
@ndy

--