Re: [bitfolk] Problem with ntpd after suspend/restore for h…

Author: Ole-Morten Duesund
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Problem with ntpd after suspend/restore for hypervisor reboots
On 19/10/2020 21:35, Paul Lewis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’ve noticed that over the past few reboot cycles for security patches,
> my VM suspends and restores fine, and all services restore fine except
> ntp, which never recovers. When checking the status of the service I get:

I've recently experienced similar behaviour when ntp "lost it" if the
upstream servers disappeared and came back.

Part of the problem seems to be that ntp only resolves servers once and
if (for absolutely innocent and sensible reasons) ntp is started before
there's dns and net available, it'll break.

However, even when we "fixed" this by using ip-addresses instead we'd
see ntp losing sync and die for apparently no reason.

We solved it by changing to chrony which both syncs up faster and
apparently keeps better time.

- OM