[bitfolk] Problem with ntpd after suspend/restore for hyperv…

Author: Paul Lewis
To: Anahata via users
Subject: [bitfolk] Problem with ntpd after suspend/restore for hypervisor reboots
Hi all,

I’ve noticed that over the past few reboot cycles for security patches, my VM suspends and restores fine, and all services restore fine except ntp, which never recovers. When checking the status of the service I get:

root@jaguar:~# service ntp status
● ntp.service - Network Time Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ntp.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:ntpd(8)

Restarting the service restores everything back to working order. But I can’t always guarantee that I can get to the console quickly, so the icinga email alerts keep rolling in…

If it makes a difference, I’m running Ubuntu 18.04.4, and ntp 1:4.2.8p10+dfsg-5ubuntu7.3.

I presume the issue is the huge jump in time the kernel/ntp service sees when the VM is restored, is there a good way of getting ntpd to handle this? Do other people see this issue, and if so, what solutions/workarounds do you use to prevent it happening?

Thanks,
Paul