Re: [bitfolk] Reboots will be necessary to address security …

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Reboots will be necessary to address security issues, probably early hours 17/18/19 October

gpg: Signature made Mon Oct 19 02:36:26 2020 UTC
Hello,

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 09:20:29AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Unfortunately - and annoyingly only a month since the last lot -
> some serious security bugs have been discovered in the Xen
> hypervisor and fixes for these have now been pre-disclosed, with an
> embargo that ends at 1200Z on 20 October 2020.
>
> As a result we will need to apply these fixes and reboot everything
> before that time. We are likely to do this in the early hours of the
> morning UK time, on 17, 18 and 19 October.

This maintenance work has now been completed, without incident. The
details of the security issues which were fixed will appear at:

    https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/

after 1200Z on 20 October.

Thanks for your patience during this disruption.

During the course of this work 102 VPSes were suspended and restored
and as far as I'm aware there were no issues with that. This is
based on the fact that they still respond to ping afterwards and no
one has told us that things broke.

There have been problems in the past; suspend and restore is opt-in
and VPSes which have had problems are opted back out of it again.

You can learn more about suspend and restore here:

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Suspend_and_restore