Re: [bitfolk] Problems upgrading to Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Problems upgrading to Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

gpg: Signature made Mon Apr 16 00:18:36 2018 UTC
Hello,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 04:34:17AM -0400, Andy Ransom wrote:
> So it looks like the problem was with the BitFolk's apt-cacher.

This has been a constant problem with apt-cacher-ng and
do-release-upgrade to every Ubuntu release for as long as I can
remember, but I don't know exactly where the fault lies. This
appears to only occur for the file that is downloaded during
do-release-upgrade that comes from a URL like:

    /ubuntu-uk/dists/xenial-updates/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/xenial.tar.gz

Deleting the file from the apt-cache will cause a new copy to be
fetched from the Ubuntu mirror and then things work, so it seems
like apt-cacher-ng is not able to tell when those files have been
updated.

I'm not sure if that is a bug in apt-cacher-ng or a bug in Ubuntu's
mirror setup. Probably acng since otherwise I suppose there'd be
huge problems with more normal HTTP proxies like squid.

Anyway, I have now reconfigured BitFolk's apt-cacher-ng instances to
not cache any URI like:

    /dist-upgrader-all/.*\.tar.\gz$

so now none of these files will be found in cache; they will always
be downloaded from the real mirror each time.

(There are tons of other tar.gz files in the cache and they all work
fine, otherwise we'd see hash mismatches there too.)