Re: [bitfolk] Latest CentOS 7 kernel doesn't boot under Xen …

Top Page
Author: Mike Zanker
To: users
CC: announce
New-Topics: Re: [bitfolk] Latest CentOS 7 kernel doesn't boot under Xen PV - workaround available
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Latest CentOS 7 kernel doesn't boot under Xen PV - workaround available

gpg: Signature made Sat Jan 6 08:34:48 2018 UTC
gpg: using RSA key AA62533B3CA64488DF7692A7E2E589EDD062903B
On 4 Jan 2018, at 17:57, Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:

> I haven't had chance to personally check this out but apparently the
> latest CentOS 7 kernel package doesn't boot under Xen PV:
>
>    https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13763

> This may be highly relevant to you because an update was just pushed
> out for the KPTI feature (to help mitigate Spectre/Meltdown etc in
> Linux).
>
> As mentioned in that bug report, there are patches to fix this but
> they haven't yet been applied to the main CentOS kernel package.
>
> In the mean time you can use the kernel package from the CentOSPlus
> repository which does have this fix and the KPTI one.
>
>    https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus

> All of this was researched by a customer having the problem today
> and it resolved it for them.

This was fine until CentOS updated the CentOSPlus kernel overnight. Now the updated one fails to boot in exactly the same way as the standard CentOS kernel. This must be some change they have made to mitigate the CPU vulnerabilities.

I think we’ll have to stay on the standard kernel version 3.10.0-693.11.1 until more information is available.

Cheers,

Mike