Re: [bitfolk] Latest CentOS 7 kernel doesn't boot under Xen …

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
CC: mike
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Latest CentOS 7 kernel doesn't boot under Xen PV - workaround available

gpg: Signature made Sat Feb 24 06:48:21 2018 UTC
Hi,

On Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 08:34:48AM +0000, Mike Zanker wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2018, at 17:57, Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> > In the mean time you can use the kernel package from the CentOSPlus
> > repository which does have this fix and the KPTI one.
> >
> >    https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus

> > All of this was researched by a customer having the problem today
> > and it resolved it for them.
>
> This was fine until CentOS updated the CentOSPlus kernel
> overnight. Now the updated one fails to boot in exactly the same
> way as the standard CentOS kernel.

Just a quick note that someone has built a CentOS 7 kernel with a
fix for this problem, as described here:

    <https://kevandrews.uk/centos-7-xen-pv-guests-failing-boot-kernel-3100-693171el7>

Following the link to the bug report at
<https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14347>, it says that the next
CentOS Plus kernel update will include this fix.

So if you're using CentOS 7 and are affected by this then it sounds
like the way to go would be to install that kernel and get future
kernels from Plus also.

Hopefully at the next point release of CentOS 7 they would include a
fixed kernel in the main repository.

As far as I am aware the kernel package in CentOS 6 has already had
this problem fixed.