Re: [bitfolk] Automatically unlocking a LUKS container for …

Author: Ian Kelling
To: Andy Smith
CC: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Automatically unlocking a LUKS container for unattended reboots
I skimmed, but agree with your analysis.

I have a systemd service which, on reboot, adds a luks key stored on
the encrypted disk to the unencrypted initrd, and on boot, removes
it. Basically:

      sed -i .../path/keyscript/... /etc/crypttab
      update-initramfs -u

One idea: a way to make a bitfolk level attacker to always have to go
through memory to find the key, but still do unattended reboots: reboot
using kexec from a kernel+initrd that is either in memory on the
encrypted disk.

Raptor engineering has designed hardware + software meant to help with
this problem, https://www.integricloud.com/ . I've yet to try it, I
contacted them just a few days ago to try it but haven't heard back.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7 DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF