[bitfolk] Please give feedback for upcoming Ubuntu 22.04 ins…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: [bitfolk] Please give feedback for upcoming Ubuntu 22.04 install process

gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 7 21:41:46 2022 UTC
gpg: using DSA key 0E4236CB52951E14536066222099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

As you may have seen in the other thread, it's become evident that
we need to embrace cloud-init for installs of Ubuntu 22.04 and
beyond.

I've got that working now, in that I can boot an unmodified Ubuntu
22.04 VM image with an attached disk of custom data, and it
automatically configures itself from that. What remains is to make
our Xen Shell do that bit.

My proposal for how that will work is here:

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/redmine/issues/207

Please give feedback, preferably in redmine (your usual bitfolk
credentials) about that, otherwise that is how it's going to be
done.

I would hope that a later development would be to allow customers to
supply their own cloud-init user-data.

Also feasible later would be to support more distributions that have
gone with cloud-init¹ as, though I do not like working with it, it
is at least a standard and probably supported in more things than
debian-installer and Red Hat Kickstart.

Some people have expressed dislike for using the Debian/Ubuntu text
mode installer in the past, saying that they would prefer something
closer to a "one-click" fully-automated install even if it wasn't as
flexible as something produced by the Debian installer. They will
now have their wish for Ubuntu, and maybe others, though I do not
plan to move away from preseed/kickstart as an option.

¹ They do still have to have left Xen enabled in their kernel,
unlike RHEL/CentOS, Rocky etc.