Re: [bitfolk] Debian Buster - autoremove grub-xen-bin

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Debian Buster - autoremove grub-xen-bin

gpg: Signature made Fri May 7 12:28:03 2021 UTC
gpg: using DSA key 0E4236CB52951E14536066222099B64CBF15490B
Hi Nigel,

On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 10:56:08AM +0100, Nigel Rantor via users wrote:
> So, I asked apt what it could remove and it told me that 'grub-xen-bin' was
> no longer needed.

No, you don't need it.

All BitFolk VMs are booted through a grub binary on BitFolk's side.

grub-xen-bin is a grub binary built as a Xen paravirtual kernel that
you can get our grub to chain load to, so that you can control the
grub binary that is used to boot your guest if you so desire.

I've never heard of anyone that needs to do this though, so what
normally happens is that BitFolk's grub reads your grub.cfg file and
acts upon it.

You only want grub-xen-bin if you want your own grub binary to read
your grub.cfg. It's also harmless to leave it there though.

Typically you only require the machinery to generate and update your
grub.cfg file which on Debian/Ubuntu is the package grub-pc. That
does also needlessly install a standard grub binary, but there's no
easy way around that.