Re: [bitfolk] Ubuntu EOL dates - which to quote in general …

Author: Anahata
To: Andy Smith
CC: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Ubuntu EOL dates - which to quote in general documentation?
On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 09:06:47PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 07:41:27PM +0000, Roger Light wrote:
> > My question would be - what is your aim in putting the EOL date on
> > that page?
>
> Just so that people can make a good informed decision when picking
> which Linux distribution to order.
>
> We get customers from time to time that pick older releases and
> don't understand when they cease getting security support. There
> have also been several new signups since December that picked CentOS
> 8 without realising its EOL was less than a year away.

In theory you could try to establish what levels of security support are
roughly equivalent in each distribution and pick a date for each distro
when that level is reached.

As that's impossible, I think the best attempt to be helpful to the
prospective customer is to describe as well as you can in a few words
what levels of support are available until which dates for each
distribution, even if it's as vague as "full: june 2021, partial: June
2023"
In special cases like the truncated EOL for Centos 8, you
can always include a warning and link for further explanation. Ideally all
distributions should have a page you can link to which explains their
security support policy, but I realize it may not be quite as easy as
that :-)

Anahata