Re: [bitfolk] Some notes on BitFolk's plans to switch to PVH…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Some notes on BitFolk's plans to switch to PVH mode

gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 4 12:52:00 2020 UTC
Hi Roger,

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 12:28:51PM +0000, Roger Light wrote:
> If I understand correctly, this ultimately gives an upgrade path from
> Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 without having to use the kernel hack.

Yes, though if literally doing an upgrade of the OS then you would
have to make use of whatever method we add to make it switch from PV
mode to PVH mode.

Also I expect that Ubuntu 18.04 has a "hardware enablement" (HWE) kernel
package that would be newer, and so probably working in PVH mode
like the one from stretch-backports does.

> So I could request a vps for doing a migration as per
> https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Migrating_to_a_new_VPS , with the
> new vps using pvh, and hence be able to install 20.04 happily.

Yes, I think I will soon make it so that doing a new install of
Ubuntu 20.04 switches you to PVH mode.

> If that's the case, it's something that would be of interest to me at
> some point.

I'll let you know when I've made the change.