Re: [bitfolk] Missing .well-known

Author: Hugh Frostick
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Missing .well-known

On 16/10/2020 14:42, Hugh Frostick wrote:
My brain hurts.
A domain failed to renew Let’s Encrypt today on Centos 7 running Virtualmin.
No sign of .well-known directory under public_html.
Had a look on all 4 VPS on Centos 7 and Centos 8 (two with Bitfolk, two overseas) and none of the sites I checked have a .well-known directory any more!

Anyone seen this, or can offer a clue?

> Isn't this directory created by certbot and therefore probably deleted by it when the challenge has completed? Does the user ID that certbot is being run under have write permission in the public_html directory? If not, it won't be able to create the .well_known folder.

Hi Paul
The things is some of those domains have been there for many months and auto-renewed numerous times successfully.
The .well-known directory is not exclusive to certbot so I am sure that should not be fiddling with it.

For the example that failed this morning I had to manually create the .well-known/acme-challenge directory for it to work.
Something has changed in certbot/centos/virtualmin I suppose but Google ain't helping me.
Guess I just need to set up those directories before next renewal crops up. Naturally, don’t like and can do without mysteries like this however!

Hugh