Re: [bitfolk] Help needed with virus infection

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Help needed with virus infection

gpg: Signature made Wed Feb 19 02:10:54 2020 UTC
Hi Ian,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 04:30:21AM +0000, Ian Hobson wrote:
> All my Wordpress sites have been infected by a virus

Tough one. If you're feeling paranoid you could boot the Rescue VM
so you have a clean environment to investigate things from, but it's
probably overkill. The most likely scenario is that the bad guys
have compromised your wordpress and written stuff only that the
wordpress / web server user can, not got root access or interfered
with the rest of the system. So you are probably safe investigating
from the VPS itself.

A thing I often do when trying to work out what has happened is just
to examine recently-changed files. If I find weird things I then try
to correlate their modify times with logging events, e.g. auth.log
for SSH connections or the web server logs for stuff being POSTed.

# find /path/to/web/stuff -type f -mtime -30 -ls

gets you things modified within the last 30 days.

If you can pinpoint when it happened then perhaps you can nuke the
sites and restore them to a point before the compromise. I know you
say you don't have access to backups but it's difficult to advise
anything else really…