Re: [bitfolk] Kernel 5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 32bit

Author: Paul Tansom
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Kernel 5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 32bit
** Andy Smith <andy@???> [2020-01-22 14:42]:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 02:13:45PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> > I will now reinstall that using 32-bit to verify that it does not
> > work.
>
> Yeah so that kernel crashes during boot on 32-bit:
>
> [    0.747755] BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: fffffffc
> [    0.747780] #PF: supervisor write access in kernel mode
> [    0.747801] #PF: error_code(0x0003) - permiss

> It may be worth reporting a bug on launchpad. I'm not going to do so
> but will help provide information if anyone else does.
>
> The environment is Xen PV mode; Paul experienced this on Xen
> hypervisor version 4.10.1 and I replicated it on version 4.12.1.
>
> Finding a way to build a recent upstream kernel release might also
> be worthwhile in order to rule out a bug in the actual upstream
> kernel.

** end quote [Andy Smith]

Just waiting for a quite time to remember to reboot and test the kernel update
that has rolled out. It has fixed the nVidia issues on my old card on a 64 bit
desktop, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to a 32 bit server!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001
Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: Ralls House,