[bitfolk] Reboots will be required for security patching, m…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: [bitfolk] Reboots will be required for security patching, most likely 29/30/31 October

gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 18 16:51:53 2019 UTC
Hi,

Some security issues have been found in the hypervisor software we
use, which we have to fix as they can theoretically allow privilege
escalation.

They are under embargo until Thursday 31 October, so we will most
likely do the work in the early hours of the morning (UK time) on
29, 30, and 31 October.

As usual this will entail a clean shutdown of your guest and then a
boot again 20–30 minutes later after the patching is done. Some time
next week an email will go out telling you of the two hour window in
which this work will take place for each of your VMs.

If the assigned window is unacceptable to you, we can most likely
move your VM to an already-patched host at a time of your choosing
before 31 October. When the direct email comes to let you know of
your maintenance window, if it's not acceptable then you can reply
to it to open a support ticket and we will work it out.

As usual, if you have opted in to suspend/restore then your guest
will be suspended to disk and restored again instead of shutdown and
booted. More info on that:

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Suspend_and_restore

For our own maintenance work we like to give more than 2 weeks of
notice. Unfortunate when dealing with security issues there is an
agreed embargo process and notice periods are much shorter. It is
preferable that there is ~2 weeks of notice rather than a "0-day"
exploit being unleashed.

Thanks,