Re: [bitfolk] Apache handing on Ubuntu 16.04

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Apache handing on Ubuntu 16.04

gpg: Signature made Sat Dec 1 21:54:59 2018 UTC
Hi Luke,

On Sat, Dec 01, 2018 at 09:28:32PM +0000, Luke Taylor wrote:
> Over the past week or so my Apache installation has an issue where it
> just.. stops responding and requests just time out

Is only apache affected? i.e. are other things on the VPS responsive
during this time?

> until the server is restarted, 12 hours later same thing happens,
> lather rinse repeat.

When you say "the server is restarted", do you mean the apache
server, or the entire VPS?

> Not sure how else to diagnose the issue :(

There is definitely a bug in Xen which was exposed by the most
recent security patches; that bug most probably only affects 64-bit
guest and can be avoided by upgrading your kernel.

As it involves memory corruption it's hard to predict how that would
manifest itself. If there is a kernel upgrade available then I
recommend you take it.

Do you currently have a file
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf ? Is there a kernel
upgrade available? If you upgrade, does that file appear?

As far as I am aware, on Ubuntu 16.04 package linux-image-generic
version 4.4.0.133.139 contains the L1TF fix.

If that doesn't help, I can move your VPS to a test host where the
problematic patch is disabled, and that would then rule out whether
it is that. If your problem persists while your VPS is on that host
then it would be something I'm currently unaware of and would be
suspicious of something inside your VPS. But the timing is
suspicious.