Re: [bitfolk] Discourse (Was: Re: Selective mangling of from…

Top Page
Author: Ed Neville
To: Andy Smith
CC: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Discourse (Was: Re: Selective mangling of from address enabled because of DMARC issues)

gpg: Signature made Fri Jun 22 05:07:16 2018 UTC
gpg: using DSA key E1DCABEECE8F4588
On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 03:56:06PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> I'm wondering if the mailing list's days are done.

I don't think so. I think some people have moved to other communication
tools. Convenience wins though, if your goal is to get 'upvotes' on a
cat picture then sure, reddit or facebook.

For things that matter, I prefer to subscribe to the mailing list then
go through without distractions.

YahooGroups! seems to have died off in all forms, sadly. That's likely
as you could reach more people on stackoverflow. For the local community
groups, they probably moved to fecebook or similar. This doesn't suit
all though as many people (<1%, probably) don't like giving up private
data. This cuts on both sides as exporting maillist-style communications
from fecebook is probably going to be some effort.

Are mailing lists over? For trivial things, yes, for important things,
no. Maybe a COTS opensource bulletin board could suit more people.
Things like gpg-signed messages may be more effort to work with, though
not impossible.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/