[bitfolk] Ubuntu 14.04 - 16.04 upgrade reboot problem?

Author: Andy Ransom
To: users
Subject: [bitfolk] Ubuntu 14.04 - 16.04 upgrade reboot problem?

Hi,

Having run what appears to be a successful upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to
16.04 (yes, yes I know living in the past) I've hit a problem.

My VPS won't reboot.

$ sudo shutdown -r now

Gives:

Failed to start reboot.target: Connection timed out
See system logs and 'systemctl status reboot.target' for details.
Couldn't find an alternative telinit implementation to spawn.
failed to run telinit 6 for upstart fallback
Failed to talk to init daemon.

and trying to shut down via the xen console I get:

xen-shell> shutdown
Shutting down instance: <vpsname>
Shutting down domain <number>
Waiting for 1 domains

and the VPS stays up.

Any suggestions before I hit it with a xen console "destroy"?

     Andrew Ransom
<aransom@???>