Re: [bitfolk] Security reboots coming, likely on 10/11/12 Oc…

Author: Paul Tansom
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Security reboots coming, likely on 10/11/12 October
** Andy Smith <andy@???> [2017-09-30 08:21]:
> Hi,
>
> In addition to Lester's email below, I have received one email
> off-list expressing concern about the amount of Xen security
> advisories recently, and asking whether I was considering changing
> to a different hypervisor. I thought I'd respond on-list [also Bcc'd
> to the person who contacted me off-list].
>
> I am of course not happy with the amount of serious Xen security
> flaws that have been uncovered recently. BitFolk turned 10 years old
> this year and in the first few years it was unusual to see one
> serious XSA per year. This latest set will have been the third set
> in three months.
>
> Most of the problems are being discovered by the Xen project
> themselves as part of their ongoing development efforts, or by
> developers at the handful of very large companies that use it, e.g.
> Amazon and Oracle. I do not believe that code quality has gone down
> recently; I think it is more the case that they are getting better
> at spotting bugs. Most of these bugs affect all versions of Xen, so
> have been present for years.
>
> When considering another hypervisor, what that effectively means is
> KVM.
>
> There are probably more companies using KVM and it is certainly a
> better known brand name in the virtualisation world, though I
> suspect in terms of number of bare metal hosts running it, AWS's use
> of Xen would put it ahead there.
>
> If I started BitFolk over again then KVM would probably be the first
> thing I would look at, but I'm still not entirely sure that I would
> go with it.
>
> Although Xen has seen a lot more security advisories than I would
> like, especially in the last 2 years, I do appreciate its security
> disclosure process. It's what enables BitFolk to be notified of
> security bugs at the same time that huge companies like Amazon and
> Oracle find out about them (unless they discovered them,
> obviously!), 2 weeks before the rest of the Internet.
>
> Another thing to consider is that Xen are disclosing every bug that
> could ever possibly have an effect, not just bugs that are
> exploitable in Linux.
>
> When comparing the situation against KVM it's hard because the KVM
> project doesn't have a security bug disclosure process at all. They
> don't send advisories. The only place they show up is in the
> changelog of the Linux kernel, and not all security issues make it
> there. I'm sure that any that are known to be exploitable in Linux
> do, of course.
>
> So basically, I really appreciate there being a comprehensive list
> of advisories for Xen¹ and BitFolk being included in a 2 week
> pre-disclosure, neither of which we would get with KVM.
>
> It's true though that I haven't had a look at KVM in a long time and
> haven't ever had a proper look at it. I will do that in the next few
> months just to get a better handle on things.
>
> As regards making Xen patching a less disruptive process, as you're
> [...]

** end quote [Andy Smith]

I thought about commenting on the number of advisories myself, but
didn't. It's a case of whether to be concerned there are so many or
pleased they are being spotted!

Either way, I am more than happy with the way it is being managed. There
is minimal interuption to service and I'm happy to recommend Bitfolk for
hosting - and do.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001
Vice Chair, FSB Portsmouth & SE Hampshire Branch | http://www.fsb.org.uk/