Re: [bitfolk] Problems upgrading to Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
New-Topics: Re: [bitfolk] Problems upgrading to Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Problems upgrading to Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 10 18:23:21 2017 UTC
Hi Paul,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 06:03:07PM +0000, Paul Lewis wrote:
> Authenticating the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server.
>
> Searching online<http://askubuntu.com/questions/842706/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-if-i-get-authenticating-the-upgrade-failed>, this looks like it could be a problem with the xenial.tar.gz file on the local repo cache. Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so, how did you resolve them?

If you edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to remove all mention of
apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com and do an apt-get update, does the
problem go away?

i.e. if the file currently says:

deb http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/ubuntu/gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main

then change it to:

deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main

Or, with sed:

# sed -i.bak 's#http://apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/ubuntu#http://#'

to edit it in-place storing a backup as /etc/apt/sources.list.bak.

If that works, then BitFolk's apt-cacher has somehow cached a bad
file. I will be able to fix it by deleting the file from our cache.

If it doesn't work then the file on the mirror is (still) bad and
Ubuntu will have to fix it.